Do Not Step Off the Building!

It might be wise not to step off the building.

Earlier today I heard a remark that made me think deep and I hope it'll benefit us all.

Why do Mormons have so many rules. The question caught me by surprise and it rang in my mind even after I got home.

I thought of how things are done in this world. How I can tell you, probably down to the exact minute of when the sun will rise in any country for example.

How would I know this?

I know this because it can be figured out. The earth tilts back and forth as it orbits around the sun in a very particular way. God's laws are always exact. If the earth rotates towards the sun by a few miles, we would burn, if it would rotate backwards a few miles, we would freeze.

Do you think this is a coincidence?

No

Take the law of gravity for example.

No matter the size or weight. If you lift an object up and let it go, it will for sure fall. No matter how long it will take, it is destined for the ground.

God's laws are always exact!

Imagine a young man who wants to test the law of gravity.

So he climbs up to the 40th floor and steps off. As he falls down and reaches the 30th floor he thought to himself, "I don't know what this whole fuzz about gravity is, I'm fine."

As he reaches the 20th floor he thought, "Nothing is happening, I still feel okay."

As he reaches the 10th floor he still feels confident.

He now is at the 5th floor and he starts to panic.

Why?..

Because the ground is getting closer. As it is with the law of gravity, the ground always comes.

I think of the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity!

These past few months I've read about the #metoo movement.

Men who committed these acts however many years ago are now finally facing the consequences. 

Just as the law of gravity...

The ground always comes.

This made me think that you don't have to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in order for the law to be applied to you.

The laws of God applies to everyone. Both members and non-members.

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

This promise rang in my ears as I pondered about our choices and the consequences.

It's almost as if to me it reads;

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, good luck and I hope it'll go well for you."

As terrifying as that might sound, this is reality when we choose to ignore the law of gravity and decides against it by stepping off the building. The rules are there to keep us safe.

Yes, we are imperfect and sinning is inevitable, but...

Lucky for us, just as the laws of God are always exact... So are the powers of the Atonement!

An invitation is always available for you and me so long as there is time;

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Such is the grace of the Savior! 

Though as with gravity, the ground always comes, the Atonement is also here to rescue you.

Whatever you've done or however far you've gone, His arms are yet still stretched forth, wide open with love.

Come back!

There is still room for you. Your seat has and will never be taken.

Question: Why are there so many rules?
Answer: They are only here to keep us safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Decisions

Being as Job

Didnʻt You Get the Letter?