Being Mercy's Hands


credit: templesquare.com
The General Conference Center where I felt my sin filled self hunger for Mercy's hand.

Two months ago on December 17th was our wedding anniversary. We've been married for five years. We've learned a lot about ourselves as individuals as well as a couple over this time period and we're still continuing to learn.

We wanted to do something wholesome yet not expensive. Largely because we didn't have any money, hahaha... oh the struggle.

We decided that for our anniversary we're going to take a tour of the general conference center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (of which we belong to). Then being at Salt Lake City, we're going to see how many temples we can go to.

Our anniversary happened to be on a Monday so the temple idea was just to take pictures outside since temples are closed on that day.

The day arrived and it was a bit off.

We woke up late and there were some things that needed to be done around the house. We have to push back some of our plans. To top it off, my wife's work called and she had to go to work later that day around noon. Which means that now, we don't think we'll be able to get to the temple runs anymore.

It was frustrating, yes. But we decided to at least do the general conference center tour. So we did.

We arrived and a tender looking lady greeted us. She happened to be our tour guide. She was knowledgeable of the center and did a great job.

We got to see how big the stage was. The organ, the seating procedures and the floors. We were shown the beautiful chandelier looking center piece, which from what I can tell, went all the way from the top down to the bottom floor. We were shown the wonderful paintings for the Book of Mormon stories. We were told that the paintings in there were original paintings. One painting in particular fit a whole wall. Whether you belong to this religion or not, if you haven't gone, I highly recommend it. It's quite the experience. It's more like walking through a great museum, but better. At least that's what I think.

However, as we were exciting from the painting room, our tour guide headed towards the elevator which was to our left. She was explaining something as we followed her. But my eyes got caught on a particular painting that I didn't noticed before as we walked by.

It was this one:

credit: history.lds.org
It caught my eyes not because of it's uniqueness but I felt as if it was speaking to me. It's a strange way to describe my feeling, I know, but that is as close as I can put it in words.

I couldn't take my eyes off it and started walking towards it.

I asked the tour guide, "What is this picture? I feel as if it's talking to me."

I couldn't hold back my tears as she answered, "That is a painting of Mercy Claimeth That Which is Her own...."

She continued to explain some more but my attention was now fixed on the painting and...

myself! 

I cried because whoever painted this painting understood me. My struggles, my demons, my yearn for forgiveness and my hope for success.

He or She understood how my sin filled self hungered for Mercy's hand!

I have felt Mercy's hands before. Ever so gentle, ever so loving, ever so welcoming, without judgement, without guile, warm and tender, yet long suffering.

I cried because who knows how long Mercy's hands were out for me yet I refused to take them.

Were her hands tired so she put them away?

No.

I assure you, they were still stretched out for me.

How ever long it took for me to realize that Mercy's hands were there, they were still waiting.

I walked out of there that day with the knowledge that blessings are out there for me. All I have to do is reach out and accept them!

I walked out of there that day with a determination that I will do my best in whatever I do and when I would feel that I'm on the verge of giving up, I would reach for Mercy's hands because I know they'll be there!

As we go about our days this week, remember those who are yearning for Mercy's hands.

If you'd look close enough, you'll see them.

They are your spouses, your children, your siblings, your parents, your friends, your neighbors, your co-worker(s), your colleague...

Pause, take the time to look, to listen...

And you'll know when it's time to be Mercy's hands!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Decisions

Being as Job

Didnʻt You Get the Letter?