It is Best to Live Within Your Means

Above all, it is best to live within your means.

Last week I mentioned that there is more to the story and we would continue it sometime. Today, is that sometime hahaha...

You should know that this would be similar to last week's post. Because believe it or not, it sort of happened twice.

It's set now that we are getting married. The date has been planned and our apartment is secured.

It was fast Sunday and my prayers were more towards our honeymoon and asking to be prepared for this new chapter of my life. 

Like every other Sunday me and my fiance would go together to the cafeteria for dinner. This Sunday was quite odd. Usually, there would be a lot of students because ice-cream is always served on fast Sunday. For some reason, there was hardly anyone in there. 

We got our food and we went to that same spot that I mentioned on last week's blog post. 

The surrounding was very similar. We were secluded and there was no one near us.

As we proceeded with our dinner our conversation swayed to our wedding. This time we were discussing our honeymoon. 

Being students, our discussion were mostly concerned with... Where should we go? Will we be able to afford it? How long should it be? How are we going to get there and back?... and so forth.

We talked for quite sometime and now our discussion has come down to only one question...

Should we even go for a honeymoon or not?

This came about because, we were simply in no position to be able to afford not even a single night at the cheapest hotel that we could think of. Fifty dollars per night was a far reach for us.

My fiance said, "Maybe it's best that we don't go on a honeymoon."

I said, "No, we must go on a honeymoon. That is married couple do. After they get married, they go on a honeymoon."

We went back and forth, each trying to support their suggestion.

While we were whispering to each other with our discussions, the same bishop that I had mentioned last week, walked out of his office and came straight towards us again.

As he reached us he said, "Hello you two", we smiled and he continued...

"I am really sorry, I really don't mean to pry but as I was sitting in my office I was moved to come and tell you that families starts at home and not in a hotel room."

Honestly, we were shocked!

He then asked if he can sit down and offer some advice. When we agreed he gave us some great advice that we still cherish even to this day.

It had happened again!

I was crying. Not with joy but with regret!

As I was fasting, I felt that we shouldn't go on a honeymoon. If we can't afford it then we should do it. But because I was more worried about what others would say and their opinion of us, I kept trying to convince my fiance that we should go on one, denying the answer that I got.

I realized that the bishop was not sent for the both of us, he was sent directly to me!

To others, the bishop's act was so touching as moving. Little do they know that this was my chastisement for being so hardhearted in denying the promptings that I've received during my fast.

This is why I cried. I cried out of repentance, asking for forgiveness because I've realized what is really going on.

After our wedding, we did go on a honeymoon.

Not to a hotel room but at our apartment at TVA which was our home then.

It was a great experience because we knew that we were obeying the One who has sent us the instruction of what to do.

I don't want to sound as if I'm frowning upon the idea of taking honeymoons. That is not my intention here.

I think it is important to remember that this was the case for us because if we would have decided to go on a honeymoon, we probably would have gone into debt to do it.

I think that the lesson that I took away from this experience was that I was suppose to live within my means! If I could not afford it then why do it?

We are humans and still have faults.

But this experience has taught me that even with our fallen nature, help will always come to those who truly seek it! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Decisions

Being as Job

Didnʻt You Get the Letter?